Thursday, June 18, 2009

Popsicles for Breakfast: Yes, you can!



We're into frozen treats this year, which is a little silly because we've had a lot of rain. But despite the weather, summer goes on, and this year we are experimenting with our own popsicles.



You'd think that my previous tangle with mango would make me steer clear of the suckers, but I'm not that smart. I still had some loafing about in my refrigerator and I am too cheap to chuck 'em. I also had a lonely can of pineapple juice sulking in the pantry, and so mango-pineapple lassi popsicles were born.


If you aren't Indian or don't eat Indian food, you might not know what a lassi is. A lassi is an icy, frothy smoothie using fruit and yogurt. It gets hella hot in India and a nice cold lassi is a good way to refresh yourself.




Ours looked like this:




Mango-Pineapple Lassi Popsicles
makes 6-10



2 ripe mangoes, peeled and chunked


1 cup pineapple juice



1 1/2 cups plain yogurt



3-4 tablespoons sugar or honey (depends how sweet your mangoes are)



dash of cinnamon




Place the mango and the pineapple juice in a blender and blend until smooth. Add yogurt, honey and cinnamon and blend until well combined. Pour into popsicle molds and freeze until firm.



We made the popsicles yesterday evening and froze them overnight. This morning, the girls woke with visions of popsicles in their heads, and, when I thought about it, these had a bit of nutritional value, so I said "go for it."



They thought the idea of popsicles for breakfast so exciting that they declared today a holiday. We dressed for the occasion.





So not only is it the first official day of summer, it is also Eat a Popsicle in a Tutu day. Bunny ears optional.







9 comments:

  1. My daughters are going to LOVE this. What a great idea. If only we had the trampoline to tie it all together...

    ReplyDelete
  2. hm, that sounds delish!

    i love mangoes and pineapple... and yogurt...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The photo class was a great investment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. preeeeeeeetty much the cutest picture of all time, save it and sell it for a million bucks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anonymous, actually, I think my photos still suck, but thank you for the kind words. I need them.

    ck: you can play on my trampoline any time...diva and Siren too, for that matter. Nothing better than a bunch of estrogen on a trampoline WITH popsicles :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Popsicle Holiday? Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those sound amazing, I might have to steal that recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those pictures of the girls are priceless! Love the combo of pink bunny ears and tutu. She's got fashion sense!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute. i want to come over next time in my tutu!!!

    ReplyDelete