Monday, June 29, 2009

Miss M's Ice Cream Pick

I didn't forget about ice cream last week; we made one. I just failed to get pictures of it. If you want to read about last week's Dulce de Leche & Toffee Crunch ice cream, you can here.

It was little Miss Bright Eyes' turn to pick this week and Strawberry won the flavor roulette. Which strikes me as odd, because the little bugger won't eat a real, fresh strawberry to save her life.

Strawberries are absolutely gorgeous right now, so I picked some promising ones and figured that if Miss M. won't eat these strawberries, she's nuts.



I also gilded the lily by choosing a recipe from a couple of dudes who know ice cream.




And yeah, the above is a contender for Shitty Photo of the Month because I am too gorked out over the ice cream to notice the toy microphone in the background. And if you're thinking of buying your kid one of those microphone thingys, don't.


Ben and Jerry's Strawberry Ice Cream

1 pint strawberries, hulled and chopped
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

In a medium bowl, combine strawberries with lemon juice and 1/4 cup sugar. Refrigerate for one hour.

In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and the sugar together. Beat in cream and milk. Add vanilla and strawberry mixture, including the juices. Chill in refrigerator until cold, then pour into ice cream maker.

Freeze per ice cream manufacturer's directions.

**Postscript: Everyone loved the ice cream, except for the girl who picked it. Sigh. She's nuts.

**If eating raw eggs gives you the heebie jeebies, you can use pasteurized eggs.

11 comments:

  1. LOL, love the photo and comment! This looks great. Who doesn't like strawberries?? =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing like homemade strawberry ice cream! As for your next flavor, I think you need to make one for the grown-ups and make grapefruit and campari sorbet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never met a child who wwon't eat strawberries. Yay for having a child who knows that ice cream makes anything palatable.

    The recipe sounds lovely. When I next get off my ass I will seriously contemplate making it.`

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmmmm..this sounds delicious! Kids are crazy anyhoo...like it one minute...hate it the next... But, I'd be willing to try this for sure :) (is that one of those echo-ey type microphones...been there!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't worry about the photo - I got a stray foot in my Gibraltan photos of me having a cup of tea - looks like someone's dead limb... nice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so weird. I saw your tweet yesterday asking for ice cream suggestions and strawberry was the first thing that came to my mind and I thought, nah, that's dull. Oops!!! I think it looks great! Although I went to Cold Stone yesterday and had coffee ice cream with Heath, caramel, and almonds in it. Can you pull that off for me?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gibby, coffee ice cream is my favorite! Coffee ice cream Gibby-style just might have to be attempted.

    CC: I'm giggling at the dead limb remark!

    Girli: Yep, you called it. I think I might have to make that microphone "get lost" soon.

    Tamar: where do you get such sophisticated, good ideas?

    Nap: for some reason it's the seeds in the strawberry that piss her off. Weird kid.

    Phoo-D: I don't think there'd be a stray microphone in any of your amazing photos. Which is why I suck :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummmmy! You are so cool, literally.

    And I like the pic WITH the microphone in the background because it's like an artsy POP of color, like they say in all the design shows. Although I AM a little bit nervous about something...does it look to anyone else like the ice cream has one leg out and is planning an escape? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've just been thinking about making ice cream! We have some kind of maker (maybe William Sonoma?) for a few years, and I haven't touched it in years. But I was just thinking of getting it out today! Your post is inspiring and helpful.

    And, Ink, Yes, totally. Plus, I like to eat my ice cream before it gets runny. My husband likes it stirred and runny, and I like it firm and crystally.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am guilty of being in the runny group of ice cream fans. And Ink, I think it I trying to escape!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Israel, Dana. That's where I get my flavors. Their ice cream is still not what you get in Italy, but it's pretty close, and much, much better than what you find in the US (sorry, I don't mean to offend anyone) -- and they have amazing flavors!

    ReplyDelete