Monday, February 15, 2010

Scotch Butterscotch Sauce



Any of you who come here with any regularity know that there are plenty of reasons to pity my husband. Plenty.

But the reason I'm talking about today involves sweets. The lack of sweets. Specifically, the lack of any sweets in my house geared towards anyone over the age of 8.

We have *kiddie* sweets--fruit snacks, chocolate-chip granola bars, dum-dum pops. But dark chocolate? Haagen-Dazs ice cream? Any cookie besides a teddy graham? Nope.

It's not that hubs is fat; he most certainly is not. And it's not that I don't love him; of course I do. It's just that I don't crave sweets. I really don't. And so, when I'm at the grocery store, I forget about them. I remember the sweets for the girls--I'm not that stupid--but then I just sort of drop the ball. I ignore the candy/cookie aisle and traipse straight to the chip/nut aisle, which is more my speed.

My poor hubs does crave sweets. And if he's in the throes of a bad sweet jones, he's sorta screwed. I'll hear him pawing desperately through the pantry, sniffing out the smallest bit of chocolate, and I'll feel a pang of guilt. I forgot him. Again.

I also don't bake, so we have zippo baked goods on hand. Except at Christmas, when he dreamily ate his way through Cookie-of-the-Week-Month.

This results in some good-natured grumbling on his part. "Christ, do we have one item in this pantry that doesn't contain salt?" he says, riffling through the shelves. He has been known, on occasion, to get so desperate that he actually enters a grocery store. And then he'll come home, hide his stash, plow through it, and forget the cupboard is bare. Repeat.

This Valentine's Day, I decided to make hubs a delicious, sweet, adult treat. Because he's an excellent husband and dad, and he weathers sugar deprivation so valiantly the rest of the year.

I whipped up this sundae sauce for my sweetie. It's wicked simple and butterscotch-y good. I bought some artisanal coconut gelato, toasted up some almonds, and we were in business.

Except. The day got away from me and I forgot about dessert! I suck! Even when I make dessert, I forget about it!

I even forgot about it until Monday afternoon, when I opened the refrigerator and saw the jar of sauce on the shelf.

Sorry, honey. You are stuck with a Lame Wife. But cheer up, sweetie. This is waiting for you when you get home.






Scotch Butterscotch Sauce
makes about 1 cup
from Bon Appetit Magazine


1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/3 cup whipping cream
1/4 cup butter
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
2 tablespoons scotch whiskey
1 teaspoon vanilla

Stir sugar, cream, butter and syrup in a heavy large saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat and simmer until sauce coats the back of a spoon, about 4 minutes.

Cool slightly. Stir in scotch and vanilla.

37 comments:

  1. I'm with you most of the time - I love salty stuff over the sweets.... except recently. I've needed treats at night, and they seem to come in the forms of twizzlers (which I won't let the kids have because the red dye would make them devil children...) dark chocolate and ice cream. I think next week I'll have to switch back to chips & salsa...
    :)
    Better late than never on the treat though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh! That's funny, and so sweet of you. Your heart was in the right place, and that should be good for some really nice snuggling later ;)

    Was he surprised when he came home today and saw his treat?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm wondering if I can still be friends with you and Corinne - no sweet tooth? Seriously?!

    I'm going to have to go work through this...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm like him. A sugar addict. I wish there was a way to get it out of my system and never touch it again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup, I'm with you. I don't bake and I don't crave sweets. Before my daughter was born I did ask him once. Do you want me to buy some ice cream or something?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mr. B's reading over my shoulder and we both agree that this looks pretty darn good! Love scotch in anything for that matter. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As you hopefully know by now, I love cooking with booze. Big time. You sucked me right in on this one. How could you forget it? Wasn't there enough scotch in it? I just made a dessert with Chambord-- what I didn't admit is the teensy glass I had to make sure I liked it, BEFORE putting into dessert. BTW, my house is full of sugar addicts. I can't help it...

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS!
    jc

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is one rockin' big kid dessert! My husband would be all over this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yep, this sounds just like our house. Except I do buy raisins and sultanas and fruit. When the fruit gets old I make spice cake (recipe on my blog), so Bill does get an occasional fix.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have recently had salt cravings over sweet ones. Not sure how that happened. Little concern, though, since #6 had taken to baking. He has made brownies four times in the last five days. I have had two but that is it.

    Your sauce sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my drool! That looks so yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Butterscotch is my favorite!!! But, we need to talk about your lack of a sweet tooth. What's up with that?!! I wish I could say the same for myself. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had one of those craving sessions last night and we didn't have anything either.

    I swear to you I ate a bowl of Cheerios and sprinkled (dumped) sugar all over the top....

    Can I come over for this too?

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a fabulous looking dessert. You may not crave the sweets but you sure rock them out.

    You never get a salty/sweet craving? Really?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lucky Hubs! this sounds great by the way. I am more of a salty craver too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to make this...I love butterscotch!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ohh I so wish I was like you and didnt crave sweets!

    ReplyDelete
  19. awww! It is the thought that counts - he'll enjoy it tonight! :) Yeah I agree with leslie...I wish I didn't crave sweets! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dang...good thing I shrank my ass last month! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yum. And there are plenty of sweets around here (because I'd never overlook that department at the grocery store), but there's a significant lack of salty snacks like chips, which my hubs craves. So we need to combine kitchens, clearly.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I wish I didn't crave sweets but alas the baked goods ilse is my bff and my enemy...and I too often forget about hubs at the grocery store, mostly because I'm distracted by the bakery counter :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. mmm I used to be a salt lover but now all I want is something sweet!!

    I bet your husband will be in heaven when he gets home!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Send hubs this a way... Sweets are my downfall. Darn you for posting something so delicious looking that I will have wasted all of shrink my ass month to splurge on this!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ha, I've got the worst of both worlds -- craving sweet AND salty (not in the same mouthful, but at the same time for sure). Hand me the nuts WITH a square of chocolate, if you please.

    ReplyDelete
  26. My husband has a Scotch tooth. Hence, this will be perfect. (And I will buy myself some Magic Shell for the leftover ice cream because there is no such thing as too much Magic Shell when you have a sweet tooth like mine.)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love Scotch. Scotchy-scotch scotch. Here it goes down, down into my belly...

    OK--I don't love scotch, but the husband does. I just like opportunities to quote Anchorman. :-) And this looks phenomenal.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow! That was a really nice adult treat to be enjoyed by your husband. Technically, it does not matter when you gave it to him, ony that you did and he enjoyed it. That dessert looked sinfully delicous.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Dang, you had me at the title.
    And on the sweets front? Hubs would never have this problem at our house, where Spouse and I are both sweet freaks. On the other hand? Most sweets last pretty well in freezer or cabinet, but he could, hypothetically, go get his own.
    If he's smart, though, he won't just so he can get stuff like this. Butterscotch? AND Scotch? Will you marry me?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Nicely done! It was very thoughtful of you to even attempt it. Did he recognize that? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love anything with ice cream - just about anything (it's my "sweet" weakness) and this sounds fabulous. My in-laws are visiting this weekend and with the arsenal of recipes from YOU they're going to think my cooking is divine. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  32. That sounds amazing! I'd probably eat it with a spoon...

    ReplyDelete
  33. Yum that sounds soooo good. We only have "kiddie" snacks also at home. Probably cause no one cooks at my house. I don't suppose I could pay you to make meals for my family?

    ReplyDelete
  34. I can just eat the sauce by the spoonful! Mmm mmm.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I think Hubs is actually quite lucky that you're not into sweets...were he and I to share a house, there would probably be battles to the death over the gummi bears.

    Gorgeous picture, by the way. I might have licked the screen.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hello Alter Ego. My husband optimistically squeaks "Cookies?" just about every other night. And I smile and shake my head. He plods to the liquor cabinet and pours himself a Rum. Not sure if that's a better or worse substitute.

    Me lovva the salt, too! I could probaly eat Potato Chips for breakfast, lunch and dinner if my ass didn't threaten to blow me up.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I assume that he was thrilled and will take it whenever he can get it! I've seen the way he looks at you - as far as he is concerned you ROCK as a wife! And who cares about the old standards anyway, we are setting the new bar for the "good wife" and it includes all opinionated, cussing, non-baking, wild on Saturday night women like you and I!

    ReplyDelete