Saturday, October 17, 2009

White Bean Dip with Bacon and Rosemary



Bye, Bye Bean Week!! I must say that my digestive tract and I aren't gonna miss ya. I still had about 3 cups of beans hanging out in my refrigerator, and I just couldn't look at them any more.

So, dear readers, I cheated. I had parties to go to this weekend, so I made bean dip. A double batch. And shared. Thus, hubs and I did not solely consume our HUGE tupperware of beans. I shared. We cheated. But I suck that way and y'all know this already.

This dip is a snap to prepare, and you can either serve it in a bowl with pita chips or crudites, or you could smear it on toasted bread like a bruschetta. Don't bypass the applewood smoked bacon--it adds a nice depth of flavor.

White Bean Dip with Bacon and Rosemary
adapted from Cooking Light Magazine

can easily be doubled

3 slices applewood smoked bacon, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups cooked Great Northern beans
1/4 cup chicken or vegetable stock
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/2-3/4 teaspoon hot sauce
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary

In a small non-stick skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon and drain on paper towels. Add the garlic and cook for one minute. Add beans and stock, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat.

Puree all ingredients except the bacon in a food processor. Stir half of the bacon into the dip; sprinkle the remaining bacon over the top. Best served either slightly warm or at room temperature.

**NewsFlash: My kids ate this dip!!! But, that said, they do like hummus (Sabra brand) and they adore bacon, so it's not a ginormous stretch. But still, I was pleased.

Epilogue: Yes, Virginia, I am tired of beans. And no, I don't think I'm up for Bean Week again any time soon. However, any of the dishes I made during Bean Week from Hell will be a nice addition to your menu...just not all in the same freaking week, okay? Your family will thank you for that.

15 comments:

  1. applewood smoked bacon! SHAZAM!
    bean dip pictures never look appetizing, but the green sprig gives it context (it's a before picture, not an after picture).
    jc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharing the beans is the ONLY way to go! ;) Then everyone is to blame later. This sounds like a yummy and healthy dip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is no shame in ending bean week by sharing. Sharing things with bacon is always a goodwill gesture, not a "here, eat these freaking beans before they kill me" gesture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, there are people out there in the world who never get bean treats, so it's nice that you shared. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so funny! I am so proud of you! Okay so this recipe could be doubled? Who are you feeding? LOL! I love white bean dip. I really need to try it with bacon!! Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum, I would devour at least a single batch, surely! Bacon, applewood smoked or otherwise is the last nail!! Good job on bean week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The bean dip looks really good. I am glad that you had an opportunity to share some of those beans in your refrigerartor with your friends. I am sure you were quite over making yet another bean recipe for dinner :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good bye to Bean Week! I bet you are so glad to be moving on. Next week, carnivore city...

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's time for chocolate cake week. I know you don't "do" sugar, but maybe it's time...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to see you made it through bean week! :D

    The bean dip does sound great, especially with the applewood smoked bacon and rosemary!

    ReplyDelete
  11. great dip recipe
    TKW oh he is South Indian as well, we were out of town for diwali candles sounds fun though lol Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am still laughing at CK's comment. And, I second it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The picture isn't too appetizing but it sounds and reads delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm catching up on your posts... bean week cracks me up! Glad to hear you've survived. I have seen white bean dips before, and i think my problem is that I just don't go to (or host) enough parties. This is the kind of dish that totally appeals to me, but I don't see myself sitting around the house eating it by myself. Moral of the story: I think I need to host a party :)

    And in response to my quiche-- Thanks for the jumbo pre-made pie crust tip... I'm going to have to look out for those at the store!

    ReplyDelete