Monday, December 21, 2009

Crack Cookies





Beware: Crisp, buttery, nutty, chocolately substance coming your way. You will be addicted after the first munch. Because these suckers are wicked good and not at all too sweet. And, when dunked into a warm latte, they are irresistible.






Coconut Pecan Biscotti
recipe from some ancient edition of Bon Appetit Magazine
makes about 45

1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sweetened shredded coconut
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup finely chopped pecans
optional: melted chocolate for dipping*

Using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar in a large bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in coconut. Mix flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Gradually stir dry ingredients into butter mixture. Mix in pecans. Cover and refrigerate dough 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350. Line cookie sheet with parchment. Turn dough out onto a floured work surface. Divide dough in half. Shape each half into 2-inch-wide log. Transfer logs to prepared baking sheet, spacing evenly. Bake until logs are golden brown, firm to touch and tester inserted in centers comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Cool logs on cookie sheet for about 20 minutes.

Reduce oven temperature to 325.

Transfer logs to work surface. Discard parchment. Cut each log diagonally into 1/2-inch thick slices. Arrange cookies flat sides down on unlined cookie sheets. Bake until golden and crisp, about 15 minutes. Transfer cookies to racks and cool completely.

If desired, dip one end of biscotti into melted chocolate; cool on racks.

* As IF this step is optional!!!!???? You want to dunk in chocolate. You do.

Store at room temperature in an airtight container.

27 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh - this recipe seems soooo do-able! I love biscotti but always buy it from the store (Nonni's). But I can make it at home? And control the amount of chocolate on it? (submerged, totally!)Thanks for this early Christmas present! I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got to the bottom of the ingredients list and thought how in HELL is melted chocolate fro dipping OPTIONAL?

    ha ha. then I noticed the asterisk

    gonna make these over the holidays. gosh darn, the kids HATE coconut AND pecans. The things a mother has to do...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm impressed you just dip in chocolate--I COAT in chocolate! Wish I had some right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would these turn out equally good if you omitted the coconut? In case some pinko commie didn't like coconut?

    OK, I admit it: it's me. I can't help it--shredded coconut gives me the wig.

    Can I just omit or must I replace? With what, pray tell? Perhaps those creepy dyed cherries?

    ReplyDelete
  5. And you say that you don't bake. Looks like you've been rocking out in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear God in Heaven....yum....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dammit, TKW, now I want to make these. Where, oh where will I fit it on my To Do list?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Falling,

    I think you could substitute the same amount of say, slivered almonds or even oatmeal?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I prefer your name...crack cookies. Yup, I could go for one (or 2) with my coffee right now :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks like a terrific crunchy cookie to dip into my morning coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  11. After OD-ing on Nanaimo bars, this would be a nice change. I can't handle anymore dark chocolate for a while, but white chocolate? Yeah, I'd need rehab after a plate of these.
    I have, yet, to bake a thing for Thursday night. Yikes! Where's the valium salt lick?

    ReplyDelete
  12. What about if someone was, say, allergic to pecans? Would pistachios work?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just love Biscotti! So good and it impresses the heck out of people. There is just something so wonderful about a Biscotti and a cup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jen,

    Any kind of nut would work. I love pistachios! I say--go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. TKW, you have done it again! You are an inspiration to me to get my butt into the kitchen. Not right now, after the holidays of course!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love biscotti, because it allows you to eat cookies for breakfast without feeling like you're eating cookies for breakfast. Right?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Holy frijoles - coconut, chocolate, nuts? These are worthy of the name and I could really use a few right now!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are awesome! I love having a little something like this with my latte. Definitely even more terrific dipped in the chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fresh pecans from south of Tucson, sans coconut in case Falling comes over, and a pot of chocolate on the stove always just the right temp for dipping all day and night.

    Happy Solstice, Kitch!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I seriously doubt you'll need an airtight storage container for these. You probably don't need a plate either.

    The last time I attempted biscotti I ended up with a brick doorstopper. I'll just dip my finger in the chocolate .... what the hell am I saying? pfft, dipping. I inhale chocolate by the gallon!
    jc

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are such a bad influence on my girlish figure. (These sound scrumptious and I'm nuttier than a fruitcake (ho ho) over biscotti.)

    ReplyDelete
  22. coconut in biscotti?? oh my. this one's for me!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Pardon me while I drool. These look darn tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That sounds so awesome. So do all the new ones people are making up with different ingredents.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh wow! You had me at the chocolate = orgasmic. I went from lurking to posting. But chocolate dipping optional? Oh no. Totally necessary as proven by your lovely photos.
    Thanks for sharing! I'll be dropping back by for more ideas.

    ReplyDelete