Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Birthday boy



Has it really been 9 years that you've been mine?

I remember the first day I met you. I opened the door and you were cowering behind your father, clutching his knees. I could see your small fingers digging into his skin.

"He's shy; he'll warm up," your father said.

Your father and I had been dating for just over a month. I was excited and nervous to meet you. My cat, Wallace, howled noisily and circled you both, sniffing.

"I have a cat," you mumbled, studying the back of your father's knees.

"Really?" I said, in an overly loud and too-perky voice. "What's your cat's name?"

You looked at me then, eyes narrowing, suspicious and startled by my familiarity. You took a step back. And another. "I'm not telling you."

It was a bit of a rocky start. I was too eager. You were too guarded. I asked many questions; you answered in grunts. It was not clear if I was for Evil or for Good.



The first time we spent an afternoon alone, while your father worked, you had to call me from the bathroom, crying in humiliation and alarm, needing my help. I could see how much it cost you to do that.

Slowly, carefully, we forged down a common road, sometimes circling each other, sometimes with me following one step behind.

My little man-cub, so cautious and serious. Wise beyond your years. Now you're taller than I am, driving away in your shiny red car.

I wave goodbye and shut the door. And wait for your return.



Happy 17th Birthday, man-cub. Who is now a lot more man than cub. I love you.

26 comments:

  1. What an awesome tribute. You rock as a stepmom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evil. definitely Evil.
    Happy Birthday dude!
    jc

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely, as always, TKW.

    My husband is part of a blended family and its dynamics are fraught to say the least. I commend you, your husband, and man-cub for creating relationships that seem to work for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This gave me chills... what a sweet post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Awesome-Stepkid R! You and TKW have forged ahead and will have a lifetime of joy from choosing to view each other as family. You are both darn lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  6. absolutely beautiful my love...beautiful. gives me hope for my partner and my son...lots of hope. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a great post. My kids mouths dropped when they saw the Darth Vadar picture- pure envy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is simply one of the most beautiful tributes to a step child (gosh, I hate that word) I have ever read. Not sure if you know but my daughter is my husband's step-daughter and we had a similar first meeting. Happy Birthday to your wonderful son! Amazing post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. To quote you...all teary and snotty over here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's so sweet I want to cry. It would be awesome if all step-parents were more like you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday man-cub! It would be awesome if all step-kids were like you.

    TKW you did it again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved this post! When I met my step-son, he was 10, a bit chubby, with a buzz cut. Every time he saw me and his Dad kiss, he would start biting his fingernails!

    He's now 20 and I've been in his life for half of it, which I am blessed! I get to spoil him with monkey bread, homemade cinnamon rolls and I even make him cinnamon/sugar chex mix.

    His mom is a "hamburger helper" cook, and I'll never forget one of the first Saturday afternoons I asked if he wanted to make chocolate chip cookies and he eagerly said yes! He went straight to the fridge and was moving things around, I meanwhile pulled out sugar and flour.

    He said "where is the cookie dough?" I said "we haven't made it yet!" He had no idea that you could make cookies from scratch, because his Mom always bought the refrigerated kind.

    So from this Mom he has learned to make grilled cheese sandwiches, cookies from scratch, and cajun shrimp and pasta. Sometimes it takes two moms! :D

    HAPPY NEW YEAR!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aww, this is such a sweet post! It made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful. Simply beautiful. Happy birthday, man-cub!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Curse you. Happy Birthday to Awesome Stepkid!! And Happy New Year to you KitchWitch!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. So sweet...Happy birthday man-cub!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Birthday to Awesome Stepkid R. What a nice family you are, TKW.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great post! I hope he had a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you sweet love Witch. How amazing and poetic you are. He is blessed beyond measure.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is very sweet. You do your birthday tributes so well. I wish I had your talent. You are a good caring mom and step mom! You Rock!

    Happy Birthday to your step-son!

    ReplyDelete
  21. awww...what a lovely post...happy belated birthday to your step-son too...I'm glad you both grew to love each other xxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Teary....hoping I can just shrinkwrap mine so they never drive away in shiny cars....

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great. Now I can't stop referring to Tankbaby as "man-cub" and weeping. Sunriiiiise, sunset...

    ReplyDelete