Friday, December 11, 2009

Cookie of the Week: Dusseldorf cookies




This is one old recipe; Mama says it's at least 120 years old. Gramma Rhetta got it from a neighbor--a good little German lady named Mrs. Hagerup. Mrs. Hagerup must have been one helluva baker because not one but two of our family Christmas cookie recipes come from her.

This cookie was one of my favorites to make, because I loved filling the cookies with jam and then rolling them in sugar. It's good fun for a kid. This is also the first cookie Daddy reaches for on the dessert tray.

Dusseldorf Cookies
makes a buttload

2 sticks butter, softened
3/4 cup powdered sugar
2 cups flour, sifted
3/4 cup ground pecans or walnuts (I spun mine through the food processor)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
Jam, any flavor you like
granulated sugar

Beat the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add remaining ingredients. Form dough into logs, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until very firm.

Preheat oven to 350. Cut logs crosswise into thin slices. Bake until browned around the edges, about 8-12 minutes. Cool.

Spread the underside of one cookie with jam; stick another cookie onto it to make a sandwich. Roll in granulated sugar.



See y'all Monday. If you schlep out to the mall this weekend, don't forget to scout out the Valium Salt Lick before you go.

26 comments:

  1. Cookies look great.....I haven't tried the Valium salt lick yet but it sounds like something I could have used yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummm...and they look wickedly christmasy! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was telling some of the staff I work at school about your post. We all agreed we need a Valium salt lick at school too, especially this time of year! (and the everclear fountain)

    I love jam filled cookies! My grandma used to make one (she worked in a Dutch bakery). Your cookie looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops, that's supposed to be "staff I work with" (hey, it early)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, miss Lu and I will have to try this one! I like the jam filled cookies too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There will be a buttload of cookie baking going on at BAH this weekend. I think I might need to install my own private valium salt lick in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks so yummy. So homey.
    And a valium salt lick...just added it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just have to laugh at "makes a buttload" as all I could think of was how big these would make my butt.... Gonna make them anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Makes a buttload"???? LMAO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We used to call these Sandies...but never sandwiched them or rolled them in sugar. yum.
    (I have a fun blog for you to visit: http://randomsantaletters.blogspot.com/)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Could I have a plate of those cookies now with a side of valium salt lick? I am re-financing my mortgage. Nightmare!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yummy cookies. Yummy memories. Yummy words.

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Witch, you behave yourself missy!

    Ink, the buttload is the final resting place of the cookies.
    jc

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am planning a cookie baking day with the grandkids and this is a great idea. They will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think I have you to "thank" for the pounds I've put on since discovering your blog. And I can see it's going to be dangerous hanging out here during the holiday season. But my tastebuds are thanking you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What's Valium Salt Lick? Is that for real? I am all so excited now. To the mall, I say!

    ReplyDelete
  17. For a non-chocolate cookie they look might good!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So, can we place orders for the Valium Salt Lick with you, TKW? I'm ready for this baby.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Butter and nuts. . . BUTTLOAD is right!

    I'll make them. What the heck--elastic waisted sweatpants have a bit of room left before they split at the seams. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. There were emergency chocolate chip cookies late last night, for hungry teens... but THESE... just looking at these, my hips are widening!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Please to be making with the "click to taste" technology for this website. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I adore dusseldorf cookies, and I love that this recipe makes a butt load.

    ReplyDelete
  23. If you think I haven't printed this delectable cookie, you are most wrong. Done! My German roots are screaming "ja!" A buttload! After my Nanaimo bar episode, I have two buttloads!
    Happy Holidays! (Is it over yet?)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Butter, sugar, jam. (shrugs) Okay. Can't go wrong!

    I love old recipes with five ingredients and five steps. I'll send you some of grandma's soon.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Makes a buttload. That's classic. Clearly I've been watching The Hangover too much now that "That's classic" is in my vocab.

    ReplyDelete