Monday, July 27, 2009

Ina's Peach-Blueberry Crumble



It's a great time for a summer fruit crumble, which was the Barefoot Bloggers' mission for late July. I'm leading you to Coco is Cooking (great site) where you can see the recipe:

Sadly, all of the peaches in the store were completely rock hard, so I decided to just use frozen (thawed) peaches. Blueberries are lovely right now, so they were no problem.

I halved the recipe because we are a small family and my thighs didn't need a huge dish of crumble laying around, if you know what I mean.

I mixed the filling ingredients together and set them aside. I went into the pantry, searching for flour, and then...BAM! Just like that, I was struck down by the Vomiting Virus from Hell. I barely had the presence of mind to put plastic wrap over the filling ingredients and refrigerate, but I managed. And then crawled into bed and begged for death for 24 hours.

When I finally felt well enough to finish the recipe, my filling looked, well, blue. The blueberries had completely colored the peaches, and they weren't very attractive, frankly. I wasn't about to make the filling again, so I just proceeded with the recipe.

I set it out to cool after baking and whipped up some fresh cream, which my grandmother Henrietta insisted makes ALL the difference in a dessert. I hadn't had real whipped cream in a while, and boy, was she right. I'd forgotten how delicious it was.



It might not have been pretty, but it tasted delicious. And the whole house smelled like summer--so I urge you to make the best of summer's bounty and whip this up.

8 comments:

  1. This comes just in time for my 23 lbs of freshly picked blueberries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah fresh blueberries and peaches - this is summer in a dish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear! That bug hit you literally like lightning! I hope you are feeling much better now eating comforting crumble... xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love blueberries and peaches! I make a grilled version - no crust or crumble - just peaches (halved) in a tin foil packet with blueberries thrown on top. Add a little butter, brown sugar and lemon juice, seal up the packet and BBQ for 20 minutes. Out comes a deliciously gooey mess, best with ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is there anything better than a warm crumble and melty a la mode? Deep sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "the whole house smelled like summer"

    OMG, I want that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You poor thing, what is us with these viruses? Glad you are feeling better....as for the crumble it looks fantastic on the plate with cream, the colour is blushing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I literally bought four POUNDS of blueberries and 10 pounds of peaches today. Guess what I'm making?!

    ReplyDelete