Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Cooking Together: Grilled Pizza



I've seen a lot of recipes in the food rags lately for pizza cooked on the grill. We're kind of obsessed with grilling right now, so I couldn't wait to try it out. Plus, pizza is a given crowd-pleaser at Chez T.

Now I could make my own dough, but I am a yeast-o-phobe. Plus, we have a couple of really good pizzerias in town that sell dough to incompetents such as myself. Alternatively, you could also just buy frozen bread dough in the grocery store and thaw according to package directions.

According to my new bible, Weber's Way to Grill, pizza should be first grilled on direct medium heat. The girls and I rolled out individual balls of dough (about the size of an orange) to 1/3 of an inch thickness while hubby fired up the grill.

Note from me: dough is really fun to play with! We got messy!

The flattened dough got a good brush with olive oil, was placed on parchment paper and allowed to rest for 10 minutes.

Hubs the placed the dough rounds on the grill (4 at a time) and grilled until the crust was firm on the bottom and had grill marks, about 3 minutes with the lid closed.

Then came the fun part! Grilled side facing up, we decked out our pizzas according to personal taste/whimsy.

I set out the following choices:
-tomato sauce
-pesto
-fresh mozzarella, sliced
-grated parmesan
-pepperoni
-canadian bacon
-proscuitto
-artichoke hearts
-roasted red peppers
-red onion, sliced
-mushrooms
-black olives
-diced jalapenos

Once topped, the pizzas get another spin on the grill, with the lid closed, for 2-5 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the bottoms are crisp.



We had a blast making grilled pizzas. I have a feeling this will be a weekly ritual around here while the nights are still warm and the stomachs greedy.

14 comments:

  1. What fun! We are making pizza this way tonight. It's so much nicer than turning on the oven this time of year. Glad that another cooking project with the kids was a success!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good choice with the Canadian bacon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious and v cheesy - but may I query - yeast-o-phobe?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeast-o-phobe=someone afraid to bake, particularly with yeast. :)

    Phoo-d, can't wait to see how yours turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so cool! A nice idea for camping- they look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmmm...grilled pizza. I had no idea how limited my cooking was until I started reading your blog. I NEVER would've thought of that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea wonder if it is possible on a charcoal grill?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amy, I don't see why it wouldn't work? But I am not a grilling master, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so happy to find you--and thanks for stopping by. I love cooking WITH my daughter, not for her. I have loads of fun projects on my site under Kids (we just made a pizza soufflé for lunch today that I'm going to post!). I love your pizza on the grill--we will definitely try it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds so much fun! Did the pizza stick to the grill at all? Or melt down between the spaces? Cuz I could see mine doing that...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anything that allows me NOT to heat my oven is a winner in my book. I am dying of heat over here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Um, could I order one of those via phone? And do you have delivery?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nope, Gibs, if you have a clean grill and brush the dough with olive oil, all will be good!

    Ink, I am too busy in Potty Training Hell to deliver at the moment, but when Miss M. can use the loo--probably when she's in college--I will consider it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohhhhhh. A clean grill.
    Hhhhhmmmmm....

    ReplyDelete